Guide To Buying A Surfboard for Beginners

Generally people begin surfing on long ultra buoyant boards that are easy to paddle and easy to balance on after the take off. If you don’t want to drop hundreds of dollars to try a sport your not sure you will like I would recommend you find a close surf shop and rent a board and wetsuit if you need it. If you have balance and can surf than the only difference between you and I is time in the water! I try to surf as much as I can to hone my skills, you must commit yourself if you are going to be a surfer, at a good time during a session.

I recommend a long board if you’re learning the basics and are always going to beginner breaks. A shorter board will give you more speed and more maneuverability on the wave. Manipulating the barrel and hitting the lip are extremely important and the shape and design of each board has different results on different waves. A pin tail helps in the barrel so you can sit your back foot right on the foam ball, but that comes in years and years of surfing. I have a grave yard of short board because I buy boards used, usually for $100-$250 you can find a decent short board to start learning to surf!

I don’t know much about long boards but I know they are very unique in their own way. I hope some one that has something to contribute about long boards would post a similar article on my blog.

If you are intimidated about going out to a surf spot just go to any surf shop and they will tell you of a beginner beach that you can go to a get used to swimming in the surf and taking a pounding or two by a clean up set. Don’t worry I was a kook not to long ago but 5 years ago I decided to put in time and really get to learn about the culture and sport. I love everything about it and it has changed my life around. I hope you can surf and have fun as often as you can because it means so much too so many people around the world. For some people I know good waves are the only thing that truly matters in life.

Custom Search
 
My Photo
saleh
It's my pic...... I was born at 1st october 1977 in Banjarmasin, South Borneo - Indonesia. ;-)
View my complete profile